About Us >> Message from Co-Founder
As many of you know, The Miracle Foundation began ten years ago and was born out of a promise made, to make a difference in the fight against cancer and to improve the quality of treatment for so many children and families. We began with eleven friends, who ultimately became trustees, and with the help of an incredibly supportive community, we took on our first project. To date, I am extremely proud to announce that we have provided nearly $3 million dollars in grants in the fight against cancer.
Highlights of our achievements include:
- The creation of The Miracle Foundation Pavilion, a 22,000 square foot cancer treatment center operated by Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, at Mercy Medical Center in Rockville Centre, New York
- The financing of breakthrough research by the world’s preeminent cancer researcher, Dr. Bert Vogelstein of Johns Hopkins University, which has led to a Phase 1 Clinical Trial for end-stage cancer patientsThe awarding of grants totaling over $500,000 to Dr. Michael Wigler of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, to develop an affordable DNA Biopsy for breast cancer patients
- The awarding of a $330,000 grant to Dr. David Abramson of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center to develop a revolutionary ocular prosthetic to benefit retinoblastoma patients
- Adoption of Back in the Game, an innovative physical therapy and strength training program for pediatric cancer patients, and the underwriting of tuition for 50 participants to date.
- Awarding grants totaling $150,000 to provide a full-time Child Life Specialist for the Cancer Center for Kids at Winthrop-University Hospital in Mineola, New York for the past three years.
- Founding sponsor of The Morgan Center, a preschool for 3, 4, and 5 year old children with cancer, located in Plainview, New York
- Enable and provide tutelage to school-based Miracle Clubs which raise funds for cancer care, research, and awareness
- Underwriting tuition for children with cancer to attend Camp Adventure with their siblings
None of this could have been possible without the generosity and ongoing support of so many others. We have lost too many wonderful people to cancer. There are too many families who still experience the pain and sorrow of this life-altering disease. On behalf of all of us at The Miracle Foundation, we thank you for your support of our mission and for sharing our dream.
©2008 Copyright. The Miracle Foundation.
LEGAL: The contents of The Miracle Foundation Website are designed for informational purposes only.
This Website should not be interpreted as rendering medical advice or professional services.
The information provided within should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease
and is not a substitute for professional care. If you have, or suspect you may have,
a health problem or disease, you should consult your healthcare provider.